Sunday, May 4, 2014

Braveheart

Do you remember how you felt when you watched William Wallace stir the troops to fight for their freedom. I recall his famous lines as he was pacing back and forth on horseback, in that green, green valley, face painted in blue, displaying bravado, speaking words, powerful last words to transform a bunch of ordinary, inexperienced men into an army of warriors. He was going to win...Scotland would be theirs.
I watched the movie when I was 18 but I'd never quite forgotten what I felt. For those 182 minutes I too was hopeful and brave.
Brave.

These least few months though, I've been re-learning the meaning of the word. A different version of 'unafraid'. Being brave entailed procuring forty or so cardboard boxes and making a conscious decision to part with things that won't fit my baggage allowance - that summer dress i bought last year, an old jewelry box, dessert plates, night lamps and hoards of coffee mugs I didn't even know I owned, along with that air purifier I didn't know how to work. Thirty or so of those boxes made their way down three flights of stairs for the last time. Bubble wrap and heavy duty tape were the new must-haves. My tribe flocked from near and far to make sure that this singleton's suitcases would be meticulously packed and her apartment, promptly  vacated.

 
I tussled with my heart and my baby sisters as I parted with things that I could ordinarily live without, but somehow in the light of this permanent departure I just had to take the icing spatula to newlands with me. My other wise rational self burst out into uncontrollable tears over worn out socks and faded scarfs, y'all. I was looking at old photographs and reminiscing bad hair days and dismal outfits. I wept over my "forever friends" both the ones I'd see in a few months and the ones I'd only be able to see in my minds eye.

In the end,  it all got done, six over-filled suitcases and a very timid heart made her way to the temporal home in cold, cold country. Goodbye Texas - I will miss you dearly my fellow Houstonians. I will miss the warm weather and the blue bonnets. I will fondly remember the strawberry festival and the rodeo. I will cherish warm Texas hospitality and hearty cowboy breakfasts. But most of all I will miss your friendship. Thank you for the memories.

They said "You're moving closer to family so there's nothing to worry about". "Come home", said Gigi. "Its time to move" my heart added. This was where I was meant to be. And yet, I struggled with a feeling of loss, immense loss. It  also didn't help that I've seen three snow-filled weeks out of four since I landed. While some people walk around in shorts and sandals, I am wearing fur lined boots and jackets to combat the freezing temperatures. Come on, Lord. Really? You can't do anything about this weather to make me feel like I belong here.

I left a secure job, sold my car and moved from Clear Lake where I knew three shortcuts to the nearest breakfast place.

Some days I feel like a coward. I'm taking long, deep breaths before an interview, waiting for public transportation and having to ask for directions to the nearest mall. Why am I so lost?
I'm home, sharing breakfast cereal with my people. The people I love spending time and food with. The benefits of this move afforded have impromptu girl time and family dinners. And yet, there are days where I'm silently mourning.   

I could call my girls at odd hours of the day and complain about  the big zit on my forehead, get an honest opinion on whether I looked fat in an outfit and lots of tender, loving care and home-made soup when experiencing a coughing war and near death sniffles.

Four weeks later, the feeling of loss has subsided. It subsided at the exact same moment I saw this picture .

(We'll have to trade stories about this pinata on another day).

Some days I have an emotional meltdown. I'm learning to take a humble stance, and lean more on my posse. The prayers are more frequent..especially on meltdown Mondays. Its alright if I have to wear fuzzy socks in May. I'm home with my family.

Today I feel brave. I may cry buckets tomorrow. But for now I have three teaspoons of confidence and..... this face mask from the far east.

No comments:

Post a Comment