Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Sweet Summer....where didst thou go?

Two Tuesday afternoons ago - I panicked.

I was standing in front of the community refrigerator at my workplace and wondering whether I should commit to the fruit melange (I had painstakingly cut and prepared for the week) or cheat and cozy up with a warm and fresh chocolate chip cookie from the cafeteria instead. Needless to say, the cookie won (and this is not when the panic attack occurred).

Just as I was smiling at how quickly that decision had been made (on to world peace, next), I overhear someone make a reference to the woes of prepping their kid's lunches when they go back to school in two weeks. (Still not panicking, yet) 

My head voice interjects - Kids are going back to school in two weeks?

Still in my head voice (only louder) - You mean, summer is coming to a close? 


Icy, cold lemonade and sandal days are coming to an end and I DID NOTHING?

(Yes its not your eyes. The font is getting larger for effect) And this is where the panicking commenced.

You see, I love Summer. I love the possibility of an impromptu picnic, reading under the shade of a beautiful tree, a well done-pedicure to go with the sandals, kababs and chicken tikka on the grill, copious amounts of mangoes and strawberries, lassi (yogurt drink) and the long stretch of daylight for walks or five minutes on the swing in the park.

Don't get me wrong, we've had our bad days. The 100 degree weather, followed by scathing sun-burns, many bottles of aloe and myths about the "healing power" of teabags, breaking down of the over-worked, air-conditioner, longer wait-times at the water-parks because kids are out of school and running out of my favourite, freshly churned ice cream at the shops because everyone decided to get that particular flavour. Despite the misgivings, Summer and I have always managed to kiss and make up.

So, the realization that I had wiled away my June, July and August hit me harder than a ton of day old scones. We didn't even exchange a proper "hello".

A list was promptly put together. A list, yes. It was definitely a vow-sort of thing and required some writing and some committing. All of the below had to be checked off by dusk, or till the last ray of daylight disappears on September 22 ( I have no idea why I picked that date).
  • Walk along the beach. A beach. Any beach.
  • Reading under the shade of the tree for a full hour (even if subject is attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes)
  • Grilling - Indian style
  • Outdoor concert or movie night
  • Give the pants a break and wear all of my summer dresses, for a week.
  • Home-made ice cream
  • Finish the book I'd picked up for light, summer reading.
  • Swinging (in the park) high, then higher.
Thankfully, hot sunny days don't just disappear where I live, so here goes.

Next time I see you, the list will be checked completely and Summer and I will be saying goodbye. "Summer...hey, wait up, I'm going with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment