Thursday, March 8, 2012

For my friend


Somebody once told me “Follow your dreams”. When I was a child, I could embrace that idea. No questions asked. Leaping into the unknown with abandon. Easy-peasy!
What they didn’t say was that it would cost you something. And a little more each year you grow older. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. We’ll lose some friends, memories, cherished things. We’ll lose heart, will and strength. We’ll experience doubt, intense pain and self-pity. We’ll be subjected to the ridicule and insensitivity of mockers and cowards and others who wished they could go on our journey and be as brave as us. We may have to give up our independence for a while and take a humbling stance. We may have to learn to depend on those who are unfamiliar to us. We may have to uproot our lives and move to a strange city, leave our familiar dinner dates with close friends, give up the thrill of worshipping next to an army of believers each Sunday, forego planning meals for Thanksgiving, a birthday and Christmas, and say goodbye to someone you’re used to seeing every day for the last ten years.

 It’s hard, my friend. My bleating heart understands your torment.

However, if you do continue down the path of ‘dream-living’ these are some things to expect. You’ll have new friends, a new jacket and some new memories. You’ll gain five ounces of bravery and live each day with a little less fear of the unexpected. You’ll own new furniture, and decorate a wall with your favorite paintings. Where you were once a  disciple, you will now lead others to proclaim the good news. You will love and cherish those you left behind a little more. You will have stories to encourage and help others who are battling a crisis and life-changing decisions. You’ll tell them “I thought I couldn’t do it but I’m so glad I did”. You’ll laugh, you’ll hug more and you’ll continue to dream some more.

Somebody also told me that our ability to dream is what keeps us young each day. Stay young my friend and follow your dreams.

1 comment: