Thursday, November 26, 2009

For the love of an apple


Happy Thanksgiving, friend! Indeed it was. I enjoyed today's perfectly sunny thanksgiving weather doing absolutely nothing. No wrestling and name-calling the turkey who is unwielding to my authority while I try to stuff her with tasty aromatics, no smoking up the kitchen till my eyes become teary, no blender malfunction causing liquified sage and rosemary to leave mossy patterns on my kitchen ceiling, no dousing the gravy with brandy till it causes a mini-fire inside the roasting pan, no mistakenly leaving dinner rolls to bake in the fridge and then popping them into the oven 3 hours later only to forget them again. Did I mention this was a snippet of my adventures in the kitchen on Thanksgiving day.

And what I am most thankful for on Thanksgiving day is patient friends and family who have starved the whole day in anticipation of sitting down to eat by 4'o'clock, only to find themselves waiting for another 4 hours before this singleton has set the table. Honestly, I never intend to starve them to death but no matter how early I begin preparing the meal they still find themselves devouring a turkey leg at dusk.  

 Since most of my family and friends will be in town for Christmas, I have decided to do my big holiday dinner for when we're all together.  However, I still felt compelled to use my oven to commemorate this day and since apple is my favorite fall fruit the nostalgia and some quick browsing led me to Tartelette's mom's apple cake. And it is every bit as comforting and lovely as she describes it to be. There coudln't have been a better way to finish the day......I feel so prepared to fight the crowds at the mall tomorrow where I hope to meet a suitor to accompany me to all those dinner invitations in December - the perfect knee-length boots. I should turn in now. Goodnight, friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment